Many of us have a holiday from work on the day after Thanksgiving. Black Friday may be the biggest shopping day of the year, but what if you’ve finally digested all that food but you’d really rather not stand in endless lines just to be trampled and go into debt? The following are some ideas for alternate uses of this precious day off.
1. Start your holiday baking. What better time to whip up batches of cookies and gingerbread people to pop in the freezer all ready for Christmas giving?
2. Go fly a kite! Bet you haven’t done this since you were a kid. What better time than the holidays to be a kid again?
3. Go take a hike! Fresh air and exercise beats credit card bills any day of the week. (Or take a bike ride, climb a rock wall or start a pickup game of touch football in the yard.)
4. Work on a jigsaw puzzle and drink hot chocolate. If it’s too cold to do much outdoors, why not enjoy the great indoors?
5. Go to the movies. You might not avoid the crowds on this one, but the smell of popcorn and snuggling with your honey makes it definitely worth waiting in line for tickets.
6. Take the kids to the park, zoo or museum instead of to the mall. Make the day a learning opportunity instead of a lesson in conspicuous consumption.
7. Write Christmas cards. Get it out of the way early. Gives your family and friends plenty of time to send one back!
8. Get organized. Grab a calendar and make lists of what you need to do before Christmas and when you will do each one. A little effort now, a lot less stress in a few weeks.
9. Volunteer. Spend part of the day being of service to your local soup kitchen, animal shelter or church. Do good in your community and feel good about it.
10. Get in the holiday spirit by watching seasonal videos, from It’s a Wonderful Life to Home Alone.
11. Tell your story. Begin writing your memoir. Remember, you can start anywhere, not just at the beginning.
12. Start the holiday season by pampering yourself. Visit a local spa for a massage and facial.
13. Read a book. Remember those? When did you last sit down with a good thriller or juicy romance?
14. Set an example. Perform a random act of kindness.
15. Visit someone lonely who would enjoy a few hours of company and conversation over coffee.
Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving, everyone!